Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
crank

crank Just getting started

Not a big GNR fan. But the were hard rock, never metal.

And, Slash is a really melodic player. That is why his solos and riffs are so good and musical and enjoyable to listen to. Technicality ain't got a lot to do with it.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
I sort of trace Guns as being the 80s' entry in a direct line that goes something like:

Chuck Berry> Rolling Stones> Aerosmith> GNR> Black Crowes> ?

I think lots of people lose sight of how much GROOVE there is to Guns' music, especially on Appetite. I read an interview somewhere, I think having to do with 20th anniversary of the album's release (now 10 years ago!) where Slash said that while they were working on writing that album he and Duff would hang out primarily jamming on Prince covers until the rest of the band crawled out from whatever rock they'd fallen asleep under the night before and showed up to work on the material. That kind of illuminates a lot.
In my mind, Joe Perry and Slash were cut from the same cloth. I was never a huge GnR fan, but I always respected Slash's guitar playing and Axl's pipes.

One of these days I'll get around to my plan of learning some of Joe Perry's solos on some classic Aerosmith tunes. Not sure if my chops are up for it, but I'll give it a whirl anyway.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
In my mind, Joe Perry and Slash were cut from the same cloth. I was never a huge GnR fan, but I always respected Slash's guitar playing and Axl's pipes.

One of these days I'll get around to my plan of learning some of Joe Perry's solos on some classic Aerosmith tunes. Not sure if my chops are up for it, but I'll give it a whirl anyway.
Yeah Slash openly gushes about how big an influence Joe and Aerosmith in general were on him. I remember reading some story that Slash tracked down and purchased a Les Paul previously owned by Perry so he could give it back to him as a gift, or something like that.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #14
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started

I absolutely love this guy. I agree with you. He's not the fastest but he always sounds good. Among my favorites was his appearance on Guitar Center with Miles Kennedy. When I think about it I don't think he played an electric guitar the whole time.

I also like to hear what he has to say in interviews. He once said he has problems playing fusion jazz as he has trouble finding the melody. He also said before a big show he likes to warm up for an hour. Really interesting.

I have pictures of only two people in my studio. Slash because he's the man and Carrie Underwood because she's a babe and I have four daughters.
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote