Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
guy12317

guy12317 Just getting started
Default Need help understanding guitar plugins and usb audio interfaces better

Hey guys,

So i've been on the hunt for some new sound for a long time now, a few days a go my friend hits me up and tells me he's got this new software on PC that he uses called, BIAS FX that sounds really good. So i went ahead and took my brother's Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface and I got my guitar plugged into it as well as the USB from it, to my computer. I installed BIAS FX and then played a little with the audio settings to get things to work.
Now here i had a few options for audio devices which made some significant differences, and its behaviors are the reason are i'm writing this post right now :
Under the settings there was an option called "Audio Device type" Which had 3 options,
1) Windows Audio - This one i could plug my headphones to my computer and hear my guitar after its been applied the effects from the software right through my PC, and oh in the greatest quality of sounds i've ever thought i'd get to produce on my own!... BUT it had a serious delay which made it unplayable.. I've tried changing the buffer sizes and sample rates, all for nothing, didn't really change much..

2) DirectSound - This one I plugged my headphones to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2's output and it sounded eh, it had a lot of noise and weird stuff while I was playing.. really weird sounding and so far from what i would've liked it to be... BUT, Eliminated the delay completely and it was playable again

ASIO - Was basically the same as the DirectSound, Neh sounding but again, eliminated the delay

Now i'm here to ask you guys this:
My goal is to choose the Windows Audio setting and get this great sounding signal to react faster (Eliminate the delay), and also I do not understand the source of the problems.. if i think about what's going on in my setup I get this :
1) Guitar sends signal to USB Audio interface
2) USB audio interface sends signal to PC
3) PC + BIAS FX applies the effects onto the signal
4) It can now be either set to be heard from my PC or from my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

I'll be glad to get any help and explanation about the use of this, Is there a way then to use my PC as a guitar multi effect station using this effects software? and if there is a way then how do i minimize the delay? should there be delay at all?

My goal eventually is to use a software on my PC that will apply the effects and then hear the output coming from my PC itself, incase i want to use a backing track from youtube as i go ahead and play along, or even capture the sound and let my freinds hear it through all sorts of calling programs that can deliver it well enough.

Thank you guys a lot in advance! I'll be super happy to understand more about this and find a good way to use this properly!
guy12317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...udio-interface
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

You need to download the drivers for the Focusrite: https://global.focusrite.com/downloa...t=Scarlett+2i2

The focusrite becomes the soundcard, so to speak.

Bias FX works standalone, or as a plugin. If you want to use it to record, use it as a plugin. To record, you'll need a digital audio workstation (DAW). Audacity if free. If I recall correctly, the Scarlett came with some audio software.

Read the instructions in the link I provided on how to use the Scarlett.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

lag, yes, annoying! that's how I ended up with my current setup.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #5
Tacman7
Lazy Dog

Tacman7 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy12317 View Post
Hey guys,

My goal is to choose the Windows Audio setting and get this great sounding signal to react faster (Eliminate the delay), and also I do not understand the source of the problems..
You don't want to run through windows, ASIO bypasses Windows and reduces the delay or latency.

http://www.what-is-asio.articles.r-tt.com/
Tacman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:39 AM   #6
guy12317

guy12317 Just getting started

Alright so today I tried the thing again and it worked properly! I made sure to use ASIO as a lot of people told me, chose a good sample rate, and the smallest buffer size that doesn't make a change that I can hear in quality for the least delay possible. the issue with the sound was probably me being stupid and plugging a stereo + mic into the soundcard that doesn't have the line for the mic in it so I was just being stupid in that regard. Besides that, it's all playing with little settings in bias fx.

Last question though,
I now have the set up :
Guitar > Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 > PC (Runs through Bias Fx) > Output from Scarlett 2i2 along with all other PC sounds (I now plug my headphones to the Scarlett 2i2)
So I got everything to work and now I'm able to put any backing track I want to on YouTube and rock at it. BUT one thing I did not get to figure out is how do I make my friends hear my guitar playing over a call on Skype or whatever ? Basically kinda like stereo mix where I let them hear what I hear in my PC or something like that, Is there a way to do that?
What I did try to do is to make the guitar sound go out of my computer's sound card so that way I can stay plugged with my headphones to my PC, but that did not work, when I chose output device I had either Focusrite ASIO or Realtek ASIO and obviously to make it work I needed to choose Realtek ASIO, so I did, and it gave me an error saying "cannot create buffers" not sure why.. so I'd like you guys to help me out, is there a way I could do what I want to do? It's basically the same as recording as I play live only I direct the sound to a calling software instead of recording?
guy12317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #7
Tacman7
Lazy Dog

Tacman7 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy12317 View Post
so I'd like you guys to help me out, is there a way I could do what I want to do?
I work in DAW software to record what I play then send them an mp3 file in their email.

You're wanting to use a computer as a real time sound device...

Can they hear you talk? Just run a line out to a radio with aux input and make sound out in the room maybe? Then use the mic that you use to skype or whatever.

It could be the limitations of your interface/sound card. Buy more stuff is my usual solution to any problem.

Maybe someone knows how to do what you want but probably you have to figure it out yourself with enough thinking about it.
Tacman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Try this, and this is just a guess. Configure Skype to use the Focusrite as your input/output sources.

If this fails, you can save what you play in something like Audacity, a free program, and email the rendered file to your friend.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote