Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
BND

BND Just getting started
Default Help! Seeking help on finding software for recording/editing

Im new to the forum

I have been looking for software that doesnt seem to exist. Maybe Im wrong.

Is there software out there to purchase or for free were you can record a track from
Lets say a cd, play it back and edit the guitarist OUT so that I can take his place
As it were and play along

I have come across software that you pay for to do this but the tracks are not
From the original artist, and to be frank the quality of music was terrible.
I suppose copy right comes into play, however it is for private use only.

Anyone out there can help.

Thank you

BND
BND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

It can only be done properly, if you have access to the original multi track recording. Huge copyright issues unless you have full permission.

It can also be done using notch filters with any good DAW, but the results are not great.
The following site is probably your best bet.

https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Here's what you are going to have to look for. Software that removes the vocals. The way they do it is to remove everything that is equal on both the left and right stereo. Usually the vocals are centered and therefore are removed. If the guitar is centered, then it also will be removed. I once had a program that would do it and it worked. For some reason, I no longer have it on my new computer and I also don't remember the name of the software. Other than that, you're screwed. You can also try using a graphic equalizer and turn down the frequencies that you don't want. They won't completely disappear but usually can be lowered enough to play over top of them. No matter what you do, the results will be marginal at best. Do a search on removing vocals. I wish you luck.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Once the tracks are mixed together as they are in an mp3 it's hard to remove something without changing the sound.
Hi Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:56 AM   #5
Tacman7
Lazy Dog

Tacman7 Just getting started

There's a lot of software to make up your own music and add your own vocals.
You've seen drum programs like ezdrummer where you can choose the beat you want, add fills adjust it etc. and come up with good sounding drums. There's software like that for piano, guitar, bass etc. also. You would need DAW software(cubase, logic, pro tools, etc.) to host these programs in.

Then there's hardware like an arranger keyboard, it has lots of styles based on hit songs that sound good. There's a software version of an arranger keyboard called band in a box that has user groups where you can get a lot of hit songs.

Then there's the karaoke producers, you can buy any song you want with other musicians doing a good job with no vocals or with no lead vocals but background singers still there.
Tacman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I've downloaded a number of tracks from http://www.karaoke-version.com/. Someone here recommended the site. I get the Custom backing track so I can adjust each track. Most of the time I'll drop the guitar(s) down to 20-30% and try to play along to learn the song. Sometimes, I'll drop out other parts to simplify things as well.

It's not the original artist but the songs I bought sound pretty good to me.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:55 AM   #7
Mad Goose

Mad Goose Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
Once the tracks are mixed together as they are in an mp3 it's hard to remove something without changing the sound.
Second that. Been wasting my time trying to do just this many moons ago.
'Defeated' and now I stick with MIDI for backing tracks (after I load it with VSTs!!)
Mad Goose is offline   Reply With Quote