Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Theory

Old 12-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
ReaGeorge

ReaGeorge Just getting started
Default Why and How should you practice arpeggios

Hey guys,

I just got round to uploading a new lesson video, allow me to premise it with a little explanation of why I made it...

In my personal experience there are many musicians who don't have a great relationship with music theory and I was definitely one of them in my early years of learning music. For me this was because of the way in which it was taught, I was given songs and scales to learn, and some theory lessons, but never were they put together, each was taught in isolation and therefore the value and use of the scales and theory were totally lost, useless to me. It wasn't until I found a teacher who put them all together that I could fully appreciate it all and actually start becoming a musician!

So with that in mind and coming off the fact that a similar video I made about scales was quite well received here, this is my introduction to arpeggios where I discuss some reasons why they are helpful (if not vital) to know as a musician and some ways you can start getting them under your fingers on the guitar.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here for many, but I'm sure there are also many who were in my position and may appreciate this content.

I hope you find it interesting if not useful/helpful and I appreciate any feedback, comments or questions in response.

Thanks

Through a: ZenDrive & Blues Cube Stage

And make guitar videos here: YouTube.com/ReaGeorge

Also twitter?: twitter.com/ReaGeorge
ReaGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Yes, absolutely agree. Very late in the game, I'm spending some time on arps.

I think you can play a m7b5 arp over pretty much anything.

Thanks for sharing. Subbed.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

This is timely since I've thought about exploring this again. I think I'm going take an approach where I learn a couple of shapes and start trying to apply them. Otherwise I think I'll get bogged down in learning 7 shapes and getting frustrated long before I start applying them .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
ReaGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
This is timely since I've thought about exploring this again. I think I'm going take an approach where I learn a couple of shapes and start trying to apply them. Otherwise I think I'll get bogged down in learning 7 shapes and getting frustrated long before I start applying them .
Awesome! Sure whatever works for you, learning the shapes that are closest to that one pentatonic shape everyone knows and loves is probably a good place to start, makes it easy to see how the arpeggio relates to the scale. Minor seventh is very similar to a minor pentatonic just with one note taken out, so probably learning the minor seventh arpeggio first would be fairly easy if you already know your minor pentatonics.

I actually started writing a few arpeggio licks with a minor chord progression, Dm7, Em7 and Am7. Thinking I might do a lesson video discussing it as a starting point as I just explained, what d'you think?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

It's strange when i think of arpeggios I think of sweeping - which I am crap at.
Listening to your video I would not have classed that as arpeggios. They are more openly used than you would think also I now realise I must use them more than I ever thought but my theory like my sweeps suck big time.
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:01 AM   #6
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Cool video Rea. Very helpful and well done. I've been studying chord tone soloing lately and to do it you absolutely have to know your arpeggios. All the notes you need are right there in the arp.
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:34 AM   #7
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
It's strange when i think of arpeggios I think of sweeping - which I am crap at.
Listening to your video I would not have classed that as arpeggios. They are more openly used than you would think also I now realise I must use them more than I ever thought but my theory like my sweeps suck big time.
They are used a lot in jazz too. They can work in blues too...or any music. As beach comber said they are useful for targeting chord tones.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
ReaGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post

This is another one of the reasons I thought it useful, I think allot of people think of sweeping.

Slow them down and/or use different phrasing and you have a whole bunch of other material to work with

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's great to hear it's being well received.