Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Theory

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
rose62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 159
rose62 Just getting started
Default Suggest a scale or pattern

I've been working on a solo for the intro to an original tune. It starts in an Am, Dm strumming then walks down to a G, Cm strum. I can use an Am pentatonic over the Am but I'm having trouble figuring out what will work without clashing, over the G maj. Any ideas? I'm not opposed to a different figure over the Am if it will make the G work too.
rose62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
AlyKat
Collab Queen
 
AlyKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Middle Of Nowhere
Posts: 8,505
AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
I've been working on a solo for the intro to an original tune. It starts in an Am, Dm strumming then walks down to a G, Cm strum. I can use an Am pentatonic over the Am but I'm having trouble figuring out what will work without clashing, over the G maj. Any ideas? I'm not opposed to a different figure over the Am if it will make the G work too.
I think your Am pent scale should work for all of those changes......
__________________
I always tell the truth, even when I lie.
AlyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
rose62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 159
rose62 Just getting started
Default

I'll explore more with that. Haven't been satisfied so far, but I'll keep tweaking. Thank you for the reply.
rose62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #4
FwL
User of Registers
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 61
FwL Just getting started
Default

A minor pentatonic is also C major pentatonic. Trying to shoehorn that over a C minor progression is probably going to be less than satisfactory.

You could try A natural minor over the Am - Dm section, then switch to C harmonic or melodic minor over the G - Cm.

You could probably even get C minor pentatonic or C natural minor to work over the G - Cm.

Many other possibilities as well.

.
__________________
.
.

My Personal Website | Band Website | youtube | soundcloud

Current Gear: Yamaha A3R TBL Limited Edition through a Digitech RP1000 and POG2 then straight into the PA
FwL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
rose62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 159
rose62 Just getting started
Default

Thank you for your inputs. Some of these are unfamiliar to me, but perhaps they will work and I'll learn something, too.
rose62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
FwL
User of Registers
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 61
FwL Just getting started
Default

Try A minor pentatonic over the first part and C minor pentatonic over the second part.


.
__________________
.
.

My Personal Website | Band Website | youtube | soundcloud

Current Gear: Yamaha A3R TBL Limited Edition through a Digitech RP1000 and POG2 then straight into the PA
FwL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking
 
MrHarryReems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Volcano, HI
Posts: 2,873
MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
A minor pentatonic is also C major pentatonic. Trying to shoehorn that over a C minor progression is probably going to be less than satisfactory.

You could try A natural minor over the Am - Dm section, then switch to C harmonic or melodic minor over the G - Cm.

You could probably even get C minor pentatonic or C natural minor to work over the G - Cm.

Many other possibilities as well.

.
A natural minor will work all the way through the G Major. The trick is that when he hit's the Cm, he's moving to the parallel minor. Best would be to move to C natural minor for that chord.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
FwL
User of Registers
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 61
FwL Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
A natural minor will work all the way through the G Major. The trick is that when he hit's the Cm, he's moving to the parallel minor. Best would be to move to C natural minor for that chord.

That depends on the phrasing, though. If he's hanging out on that G for any length of time it's going to sound more like the V of Cm and A minor is going to start sounding weird. If he were to shift his emphasis to G Mixolydian at that point, he'd be good to go. Add some B Diminished licks, shake vigorously and enjoy.

.
__________________
.
.

My Personal Website | Band Website | youtube | soundcloud

Current Gear: Yamaha A3R TBL Limited Edition through a Digitech RP1000 and POG2 then straight into the PA
FwL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking
 
MrHarryReems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Volcano, HI
Posts: 2,873
MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
That depends on the phrasing, though. If he's hanging out on that G for any length of time it's going to sound more like the V of Cm and A minor is going to start sounding weird. If he were to shift his emphasis to G Mixolydian at that point, he'd be good to go. Add some B Diminished licks, shake vigorously and enjoy.

.
I guess that would depend on when the piece actually moves to the parallel minor, since G fits in both keys.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #10
Guy
Some guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 46
Guy Just getting started
Default

I know this is months old but could you throw G Mixolydian over the top of a Gmaj? Or will that only work with a G7
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Competition | Piano Lessons