Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Theory

Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
rose62

rose62 Just getting started
Default Suggest a scale or pattern

I've been working on a solo for the intro to an original tune. It starts in an Am, Dm strumming then walks down to a G, Cm strum. I can use an Am pentatonic over the Am but I'm having trouble figuring out what will work without clashing, over the G maj. Any ideas? I'm not opposed to a different figure over the Am if it will make the G work too.
rose62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
I've been working on a solo for the intro to an original tune. It starts in an Am, Dm strumming then walks down to a G, Cm strum. I can use an Am pentatonic over the Am but I'm having trouble figuring out what will work without clashing, over the G maj. Any ideas? I'm not opposed to a different figure over the Am if it will make the G work too.
I think your Am pent scale should work for all of those changes......
Old 11-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
rose62

I'll explore more with that. Haven't been satisfied so far, but I'll keep tweaking. Thank you for the reply.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #4
FwL
User of Registers

FwL Just getting started

A minor pentatonic is also C major pentatonic. Trying to shoehorn that over a C minor progression is probably going to be less than satisfactory.

You could try A natural minor over the Am - Dm section, then switch to C harmonic or melodic minor over the G - Cm.

You could probably even get C minor pentatonic or C natural minor to work over the G - Cm.

Many other possibilities as well.

My Personal Website | Band Website | youtube | soundcloud

Current Gear: Yamaha A3R TBL Limited Edition through a Digitech RP1000 and POG2 then straight into the PA
FwL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
rose62

Thank you for your inputs. Some of these are unfamiliar to me, but perhaps they will work and I'll learn something, too.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
FwL
User of Registers

FwL Just getting started

Try A minor pentatonic over the first part and C minor pentatonic over the second part.

Current Gear: Yamaha A3R TBL Limited Edition through a Digitech RP1000 and POG2 then straight into the PA
Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
A minor pentatonic is also C major pentatonic. Trying to shoehorn that over a C minor progression is probably going to be less than satisfactory.

You could try A natural minor over the Am - Dm section, then switch to C harmonic or melodic minor over the G - Cm.

You could probably even get C minor pentatonic or C natural minor to work over the G - Cm.

Many other possibilities as well.

A natural minor will work all the way through the G Major. The trick is that when he hit's the Cm, he's moving to the parallel minor. Best would be to move to C natural minor for that chord.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
FwL
User of Registers

FwL Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
A natural minor will work all the way through the G Major. The trick is that when he hit's the Cm, he's moving to the parallel minor. Best would be to move to C natural minor for that chord.

That depends on the phrasing, though. If he's hanging out on that G for any length of time it's going to sound more like the V of Cm and A minor is going to start sounding weird. If he were to shift his emphasis to G Mixolydian at that point, he'd be good to go. Add some B Diminished licks, shake vigorously and enjoy.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
That depends on the phrasing, though. If he's hanging out on that G for any length of time it's going to sound more like the V of Cm and A minor is going to start sounding weird. If he were to shift his emphasis to G Mixolydian at that point, he'd be good to go. Add some B Diminished licks, shake vigorously and enjoy.

I guess that would depend on when the piece actually moves to the parallel minor, since G fits in both keys.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #10
Guy
Some guy

Guy Just getting started

I know this is months old but could you throw G Mixolydian over the top of a Gmaj? Or will that only work with a G7
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote