Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 01-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
thais889
Guitar Enthusiast

thais889 Just getting started
Default Acoustic Bass Options

Was at a guitar center last night and played a couple of acoustic bass guitars. Was really unimpressed by the lack of choices as well as the tone and playability.

The Breedlove was the best one of the 3 they had (Fender and Dean were the other 2.)

Any acoustic bass owners here? Thoughts?
thais889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm a 'secondary' bass player - git'r is 1st instrument - but I do play quite a bit o' bass.
If my opinion matters - I wouldn't pay a nickel for any acoustic bass I've ever picked up. I do a good enough job embarrassing myself playing ELECTRIC bass...I don't need a cheezy, low-quality, ill-conceived instrument making me sound worse.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
thais889
Guitar Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
I'm a 'secondary' bass player - git'r is 1st instrument - but I do play quite a bit o' bass.
If my opinion matters - I wouldn't pay a nickel for any acoustic bass I've ever picked up. I do a good enough job embarrassing myself playing ELECTRIC bass...I don't need a cheezy, low-quality, ill-conceived instrument making me sound worse.
Ha! I'm the same, guitar is my main instrument...piano and bass are secondary.

Well, I really like the sound of an acoustic bass (the Breedlove was very nice and I've played some nice sounding Deans but those had intonation problems.)

I'm looking for an acoustic bass to accompany acoustic guitar stuff.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

My friend made a washtub bass with a shovel handle and parachute cord. The thing sounds pretty good.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:19 AM   #5
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I have 2 acoustic Basses. The one I bought from Long & McQuade is a Fender CB-100CE, and the other is a Sky brand that I received as payment for working on a 60's Decca and Silvertone guitar.

The Fender plays and sounds great to me, or wouldn't have bought it, and the Sky brand, well..that needed some work to get it to play the way I wanted it to, and I'm eventually going to turn it into a fretless, which is why I took it instead of cash.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
thais889
Guitar Enthusiast

The Fender at GC was a Kingsman...neck was nice but it just sounded as dead as a doornail.

Only heard of the Sky brand from the Seymour Duncan Forum, never played one. A local store had a fretless Ovation acoustic bass...just not a fretless fan (I'm too sloppy lol.)
Old 01-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I tried a Kingsman before deciding on the CB-100.

The deadness could be from oxidized strings from sitting to long, or they've installed strings designed for electric Bass. Nickle plated and Phosphorus Bronze make all the difference in acoustic tone,

The Sky brand Bass had year old strings on it, and after setting the guitar up to my needs and a fresh set of strings put on, it came to life a lot more acoustically.

I'm not large on fretless either, but in my case, if I can make a fretless Bass for basically nothing, why not?

Do you have a price range?. Ibanez and Epi's make decent acoustic Basses.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
thais889
Guitar Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I tried a Kingsman before deciding on the CB-100.

The deadness could be from oxidized strings from sitting to long, or they've installed strings designed for electric Bass. Nickle plated and Phosphorus Bronze make all the difference in acoustic tone,

The Sky brand Bass had year old strings on it, and after setting the guitar up to my needs and a fresh set of strings put on, it came to life a lot more acoustically.

I'm not large on fretless either, but in my case, if I can make a fretless Bass for basically nothing, why not?

Do you have a price range?. Ibanez and Epi's make decent acoustic Basses.
Definitely don't put it past GC to have old/well used strings on them...but these felt brand new.

I love the tone of a fretless...when others more capable than myself play them.

I was hoping $200-$400ish...but that Breedlove is making me want to save up. lol
Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
Keith
Keeping the pocket

As a Canadian, I've heard the good/bad sides of GC over the years, but never being to a GC store, I can't comment, but I imagine it's true with all gear centers at some point.

I too, love the sound of a fretless, and I'm so used to a fretted Bass that it's become a huge memory learning curve to get the fretting precise.

If any guitar fits you for everything you want and need but it's out of budget, by all means, save your pennies.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
thais889
Guitar Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
As a Canadian, I've heard the good/bad sides of GC over the years, but never being to a GC store, I can't comment, but I imagine it's true with all gear centers at some point.

I too, love the sound of a fretless, and I'm so used to a fretted Bass that it's become a huge memory learning curve to get the fretting precise.

If any guitar fits you for everything you want and need but it's out of budget, by all means, save your pennies.
Well, they get a bad rap (mainly for giving 50-60% for used gear of what they plan on selling it for) but it all comes down to the management at each store. I've been to some real crappy ones and some awesome ones. The one closest to me is very well run AND they will change the strings if you ask them to...I just wasn't going to have them put $20 strings on a bass I wasn't really interested in.

I can imagine it being a learning curve for sure! I really dig the sliding up and down on one...just totally not as accurate as I need to be for one.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to save my pennies for one. Just bought a Martin CEO-7 as well as a Fender Bassbreaker so my music funds are in the poverty house to start off the new year. lol

Thanks for the info man!