Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Theory

Old 05-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started
Default I need help with this bar

I need help with the attached bar. I am playing this like it has four quarter notes. The first note looks like a whole note. Also there is a rest?...

The time signature is 4/4.

I'm not sure I understand this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Music Bar.jpg (52.7 KB, 22 views)
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

It's all happening simultaneously, so that could be confusing you.

Top E played for count of 4 beats.

REST, G, A, Bb = 4 beats

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
Smedley Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
It's all happening simultaneously, so that could be confusing you.

Top E played for count of 4 beats.

REST, G, A, Bb = 4 beats
Wouldn't there be a tie for 4 beats on the E?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley Fingers View Post
Wouldn't there be a tie for 4 beats on the E?
There's no necessity for it, since it's a whole note, to be sounded for the duration of the bar. While the E is sounding for the the 4 beats, you start the G, A, Bb run, but the run begins on beat 2.

Think of my text as lines spaces in that bar:

E- sounds for 4 beats......

Rest, G (2) A (3) Bb (4)

Above 2 lines is happening simultaneously.

Is it the rest symbol that's throwing you off? In this instance, it pertains to the notes "beneath" the E. If there were no rest, you'd be playing the G on the ONE and the Bb on the THREE, then you'd have a beat left-over to account for.

Try this: play the E for 4 beats.

Play the G, A, Bb as written, with the G coming in at beat 2.

Now play both lines in time.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

I thought that looked weird too, but I see what Slim is saying.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Maybe this will help?

Slap out the beats; your left hand is the E, your right hand "plays" the G, A, Bb.

Left hand slaps down on beat ONE (2, 3, 4)

Right hand slaps down on beat TWO: REST, 2, 3, 4.

Do it separately, then with both hands. The left hand comes down only once for a duration of 4 beats. The right hand slaps 3 times, but starts on beat 2.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Smedley Fingers

I was actually playing it correctly. I totally understand what you're saying. I guess my question is not how to understand it, but rather to question if it was written correctly.

I was under the impression if there's a whole note, you couldn't have three quarter notes on the bar.

Wouldn't it have the same effect to put the high E note as a quarter note? It's open so it will ring out for four beats anyway.

It seemed to me there was a broken rule.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
I was actually playing it correctly. I totally understand what you're saying. I guess my question is not how to understand it, but rather to question if it was written correctly.

I was under the impression if there's a whole note, you couldn't have three quarter notes on the bar.

Wouldn't it have the same effect to put the high E note as a quarter note? It's open so it will ring out for four beats anyway.

I had the same question. It's like that whole note wants to be on its own staff.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:

re: the bold. No. Forget that you're playing an open string. If it's a 1/4 note, it should sound out for one beat, period. You can play the same passage with the E on the B string at the 5th fret, but you'd have to hold it for an entire 4 beats.

I'm not a great music reader, but your example isn't new to me, and there weren't any rules broken.

You absolutely can have a whole note and simultaneously having any combination of of 1/4, 1/8, etc. Also, look where the rest symbol is as compared to the rest symbol right beneath. The rest below is right within the bar, so that means FULL STOP ON ANY PLAYING HERE, while the rest in your example is clearly for what's going beneath the high E ringing for the entire measure.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
Smedley Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
re: the bold. No. Forget that you're playing an open string. If it's a 1/4 note, it should sound out for one beat, period. You can play the same passage with the E on the B string at the 5th fret, but you'd have to hold it for an entire 4 beats.

I'm not a great music reader, but your example isn't new to me, and there weren't any rules broken.

You absolutely can have a whole note and simultaneously having any combination of of 1/4, 1/8, etc. Also, look where the rest symbol is as compared to the rest symbol right beneath. The rest below is right within the bar, so that means FULL STOP ON ANY PLAYING HERE, while the rest in your example is clearly for what's going beneath the high E ringing for the entire measure.
Got it. Thanks Slim. I'm glad that at least my instincts were right and I read it the way you explained. It's just something I haven't seen before.