Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 05-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
know-dem-scales

know-dem-scales Just getting started
Default Strumming Chord Changes... The Bad Sound

Okay, so I am playing a strum version of "Let It Be". I have the chord progressions down as far as what comes next and making that chord sound clear except for the first strum. The only thing is I change from one chord to the next and there is still sound coming from the chord I just passed. Any ideas on how to remedy this? I am watching the video, many videos, the guys are stopping the sound of the chord strummed with their hands/fingers by muting. It just flows into the next chord. So, how does sound ring from the previous chord and blend in with the next chord when different string are being pressed down? Thanks.
know-dem-scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #2
captainamerica

captainamerica Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by know-dem-scales View Post
Okay, so I am playing a strum version of "Let It Be". I have the chord progressions down as far as what comes next and making that chord sound clear except for the first strum. The only thing is I change from one chord to the next and there is still sound coming from the chord I just passed. Any ideas on how to remedy this? I am watching the video, many videos, the guys are stopping the sound of the chord strummed with their hands/fingers by muting. It just flows into the next chord. So, how does sound ring from the previous chord and blend in with the next chord when different string are being pressed down? Thanks.
Palm mute, perhaps?

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-1...rdPalmMute.php
captainamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:01 AM   #3
know-dem-scales

Nah..more like ringing from the previous chord. I am playing Let It Be for example. When I switch from say the D to E minor, some strings from D are still ringing on the chord change.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 AM   #4
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by know-dem-scales View Post
Nah..more like ringing from the previous chord. I am playing Let It Be for example. When I switch from say the D to E minor, some strings from D are still ringing on the chord change.
A lot of people do that and it's normal but what you may be hearing is a slight ringing of open strings while you get to the next chord. If that is what is happening it's not a bad thing.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

There should not be a period of complete silence between chord changes unless this is the way the song was written & intended to be played. If you are playing at a fair speed & changing chords smoothly, the music just flows & you will hears some of the last chord as you strum the new chord. Like Cobalt said, this is normal.

Record something for us to hear in case we are not understanding the problem/question.
Aly
Old 05-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
know-dem-scales

Oh my goodness. You have no idea what you are asking for. Ha ha. If I played something for you, your ears would bleed. But okay. Have a busy week at work, but I will get something up for you all.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
jgln

jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I was going to take a look at John Lennon strumming the chords in the original recording video but can't find it anywhere??? Pretty sure it used to be available. If I recall he strummed it without palm muting.

....OK never mind. I was thinking of Hey Jude where you can clearly see John strumming.

Last edited by jgln; 05-22-2017 at 09:33 PM.
jgln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
stantheman

stantheman Just getting started

k-d-s its like riding a bike: you don't pause to think about it, it only makes sense if you just keep moving forward. The transition from one chord to another is not meant to be clean, unless the musical notation tells you there is a mute.
stantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Are you strumming all the strings? You don't have to.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote