Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #51
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfz View Post
In Sweden schools teach religion. However of course its separate from science...just dont mix them. Religion as a subject is a lot about culture and history aswell. Its not like our religion teacher stands there preaching the bible.

I personally think its good that religion is taught as a subject. You get to know how religions work, how they were formed and how they relate to other religions as well as culture and history. Also we learn about all the major religions in the world.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
You make a really good point.

I don't really have an issue with studying religion in the context of cultural studies. Many of us studied ancient Greek and Roman Mythology in school. We learned about these religions and the cultures that they were a part of. We did not, however, learn consult an oracle for guidance on war, romance or the age of the universe.

Last edited by DanRode; 01-11-2018 at 06:40 PM.
DanRode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #52
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
We did not, however, learn consult an oracle for guidance on war, romance or the age of the universe.
man, it's enlightening and hilarious how people who don't believe in God, view people who do. ......Consult an oracle... oh man lol
BTW, the bible never states the age of the earth, that's humans trying to figure out when it might have been based on the writings, there are many ways to do that, some show the earth young, some show it much older,

According to C. I. Scofield, Thomas Chalmers, and other biblical scholars,
something dramatic may have happened between the time of this first and
second verse. Were the King James translators accurate in their translation,
or were they based on assumptions? As stated earlier, Hebrew words could
easily have more than one meaning. With that in hand, let's see if these
early translators indeed tried to translate the words correctly, or try to
make the words "fit" into what they have always assumed.

In Genesis 1:2, the use of the word was (from the Hebrew word hayah)
indicates that something might have taken place beyond what these King
James Translators believed. According to Strong's Concordance - a great
guide to Hebrew words - this word can also mean "to be," "to come to
pass," "to come about," or to "fall out."[1] Did the earth begin the way
Genesis 1:2 said it did, or did it become that way?

The English words without form, in the above verse, were translated from
the Hebrew word tohuw; which can also mean "to lie waste," "that which
is wasted," "a place of chaos," or "confusion."[2] The Hebrew word for
void is bohuw, here; which can also mean "a state of waste" or
"emptiness."[3] If we insert these other possible meanings, we could have
an entirely different verse:

And the earth came to be a place of chaos, and waste.

-or-

And the earth had fallen from its original form, and became
a place of chaos and waste.

Last edited by ronpfid; 01-11-2018 at 06:14 PM.
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #53
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
man, it's enlightening and hilarious how people who don't believe in God, view people who do. ......Consult an oracle... oh man lol
BTW, the bible never states the age of the earth, that's humans trying to figure out when it might have been based on the writings, there are many ways to do that, some show the earth young, some show it much older,
Ummm...

So by religion and God, you mean your specific religion and God(s). Any other religious ideas are inferior, silly, wrong or perhaps evil?

The Greek and Romans did indeed consult oracles for supernatural advice. My point is that when studying religion we seek to understand (as science) not participate. The latter is acceptable the former is not.

Do you really want someone else choosing which religion you kids will practice?

As for determining the age of the Earth from the Bible, it's at least as accurate as astrology is for personality classification.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #54
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
Ummm...

So by religion and God, you mean your specific religion and God(s). Any other religious ideas are inferior, silly, wrong or perhaps evil?

The Greek and Romans did indeed consult oracles for supernatural advice. My point is that when studying religion we seek to understand (as science) not participate. The latter is acceptable the former is not.

Do you really want someone else choosing which religion you kids will practice?

As for determining the age of the Earth from the Bible, it's at least as accurate as astrology is for personality classification.
no. we were talking about people believing in God, you make it sound like we are these ignorant people consulting some mystical oracle. No one consults God, and get's a response saying 'Yeah do this or do that'. lol

I said already earlier that I didn't want a school teaching religion so not sure why you state that?

And I just basically said that too about the age of the earth, the bible does not state it, people using the bible to figure it out, are just guessing, then I showed how what the bible says can be taken another way about the age of the earth, so there is no way to solidly extrapolate that information from the bible.

I hope you read the science more carefully than your reading my posts, otherwise I might have to take your info on this with quite a few grains of salt lol
Old 01-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #55
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
No one consults God, and get's a response saying 'Yeah do this or do that'. lol
George W. Bush claimed to do that very thing quite frequently.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #56
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
George W. Bush claimed to do that very thing quite frequently.

Claimed or actually got answers? lol
Old 01-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #57
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Claimed or actually got answers? lol
Well I can't say whether he actually heard a voice in his ear or not, but he did claim to "speak with god" regularly and that he made decisions in part based on his interpretation of god's will.

I'm not trying to say people of faith have no place in our system of government. MOST of our citizenry believes in some type of higher power. I would never go so far as to say that this view should go unrepresented in our governance. I'm just saying it seems to me an awful shame though that a candidate for public office who openly admits to NOT having any imaginary friends would pretty much be committing political suicide.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #58
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
Well I can't say whether he actually heard a voice in his ear or not, but he did claim to "speak with god" regularly and that he made decisions in part based on his interpretation of god's will.

I'm not trying to say people of faith have no place in our system of government. MOST of our citizenry believes in some type of higher power. I would never go so far as to say that this view should go unrepresented in our governance. I'm just saying it seems to me an awful shame though that a candidate for public office who openly admits to NOT having any imaginary friends would pretty much be committing political suicide.
well that's the thing, no one REALLY knows if he really did get an answer or not. We also cannot outright call God 'an imaginary Friend', he's only imaginary from an atheistic perspective. From the other side, He is as real as you or I. Whether each side can relate to the other is unimportant, what matters is when something literally is unproven right or unproven wrong, and no way to do either, nothing can be stated as fact for both sides simultaneously.

Faith is belief in 'things unseen'.
Most believe in God and state they never have 'seen' him, but have seen things that give evidence to Him
People have never 'seen' evolution, but have seen things that give evidence to it.
Both are faith
Does one believe in God, or does one believe in evolution? some believe both are valid at the same time.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #59
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

Quote:
no. we were talking about people believing in God, you make it sound like we are these ignorant people consulting some mystical oracle. No one consults God, and get's a response saying 'Yeah do this or do that'. lol
Quote:
My point is concerning "those people". The Greeks are ignorant and their beliefs mystical yet yours are perfectly reasonable? The savages are ignorant children that need to be converted to a rational religion.

On a related not, you don't know how I view people who do and do not believe in God.

The people I know personally that are active religiously impress me as more kind and generous than the people I've met who are not religiously active or who are extremely vocal about their religion. I also have close friends who are atheists. I don't give points one way or the other.

Most of my friends in the group I call "quietly religious" they seem to expend energy on helping people rather than converting them. I like people like that even if I don't believe what they do.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #60
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

Quote:
Does one believe in God, or does one believe in evolution? some believe both are valid at the same time.
Evolution is not a belief system. It's a theory based on evidence. As the evidence changes or is reinterpreted, theories change and/or other theories emerge. That process is science.

Perhaps, the scientific method is a belief system?