Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

View Poll Results: Do you use a Buffer Pedal?
Yes 1 16.67%
No 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
ReaGeorge
Member
 
ReaGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 70
ReaGeorge Just getting started
Default NPD Recently discovered how essential a Buffer is...

So I recently got to try out a new handmade buffer pedal from a local pedal maker, having never used a dedicated buffer before I was curious as to how much difference it makes and whether I need one or not.

It was cool to find out how much more consistent it made my tone, I can say for sure now that a buffer is an essential part of my rig, and I would recommend anyone who doesn't have a buffer in their signal chain to try it out.

For sure it's going to depend on your overall rig and what you're aiming for, but I would imagine that for the majority of people it would be beneficial. I'd be interested to hear if most of you guys are using them already and how?...

Here's a video of my overview and review of my experience, although it is a little tricky to properly portray the effect it has since I'm dealing with YouTube compression and such, at lease you can see from the analyser waveform the difference in the top end.

__________________
I currently play a: Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 2012

Through a: ZenDrive & Blues Cube Stage

And make guitar videos here: YouTube.com/ReaGeorge

Also twitter?: twitter.com/ReaGeorge
ReaGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator
 
Mr. Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,809
Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts
Default

I don't have a dedicated buffer but my tuner is buffered and I think I have at least one other pedal that's not true bypass either.

*Sidenote: this post DOES sort of reek of spam although the OP has been a member here for almost 5 years.
__________________
"The greatest threat to our way of life is our way of life." - Me
Mr. Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
KamaK
Retired
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 194
KamaK Just getting started
Default

Pedal board....



I've always been of the mind that the moment your stage setup requires more than a single pedal, you should probably consider an MFX. I've always considered the selling of multiple individual $100 pedals to new guitarists seeking a magic improvement to be highly immoral. Money better spent on lessons, a nice amp, a nice guitar, or a real MFX.

On the flip side, when I record, I often use whatever 'real' FX is called for, whether it be a Crybaby, Fender reverb tank, Maestro phase shifter, TS8, etc. Never plugging in more than what is needed for the part, never more than 30' of cable. Hooray for hypocrites!

Is anyone else of a similar mind? (That if you need a buffer, it's probably because you've gone astray somewhere)
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth
 
Abo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ayr Scotland
Posts: 5,985
Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal
Default

I was watching a rig rundown of Steve Lukather. He had quite a few pedals one of which was a buffer he must have went astray.
If sounding and playing like Luke is going astray then I wish I was indeed astray.

Just saying
Abo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
PKVeazey
Old Timer
 
PKVeazey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Central Virginia
Posts: 754
PKVeazey Just getting started
Default

I'll let y'all handle this one. I'm not big fan of a bunch of pedals.
__________________
Always B natural, Sometimes B sharp, Never B flat.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:15 PM   #6
ReaGeorge
Member
 
ReaGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 70
ReaGeorge Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
I don't have a dedicated buffer but my tuner is buffered and I think I have at least one other pedal that's not true bypass either.

*Sidenote: this post DOES sort of reek of spam although the OP has been a member here for almost 5 years.

Sorry if it came across that way, not my intention at all, just wanted to share my experience.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
I've always been of the mind that the moment your stage setup requires more than a single pedal, you should probably consider an MFX. I've always considered the selling of multiple individual $100 pedals to new guitarists seeking a magic improvement to be highly immoral. Money better spent on lessons, a nice amp, a nice guitar, or a real MFX.

On the flip side, when I record, I often use whatever 'real' FX is called for, whether it be a Crybaby, Fender reverb tank, Maestro phase shifter, TS8, etc. Never plugging in more than what is needed for the part, never more than 30' of cable. Hooray for hypocrites!

Is anyone else of a similar mind? (That if you need a buffer, it's probably because you've gone astray somewhere)
I understand where you're coming from, I did in fact start out using a MFX board. I found that as I acquired the taste for a certain sound the "real" effect or amp or what have you, did sound and feel allot better to play, the feeling is a big part of it, the response is different and more enjoyable in my opinion, there are also some FX that have yet to me modelled.

I am quite curious about the more modern units such as AxeFX and the Kemper Modelling amps but they also have a pretty hefty initial price tag, I don't have a huge pedal board but it took me a few years to get to the point it is now which spreads the cost quite well.

Either way, even if you plug straight into an amp but have to use a long run of cable for whatever reason, there will be a change in tone due to... physics, some people may like what it does especially if they have extremely bright pickups but I think for most the sound of a short cable is what we're after in which case a buffer would be needed...
__________________
I currently play a: Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 2012

Through a: ZenDrive & Blues Cube Stage

And make guitar videos here: YouTube.com/ReaGeorge

Also twitter?: twitter.com/ReaGeorge
ReaGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand
 
Silimtao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: here
Posts: 35,293
Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
I was watching a rig rundown of Steve Lukather. He had quite a few pedals one of which was a buffer he must have went astray.
If sounding and playing like Luke is going astray then I wish I was indeed astray.

Just saying
I'm not sure anyone has a larger pedalboard than Eric Johnson. I don't think he uses a buffer, but not sure. He's amazing, but kinda nutty about his pedals, guitar and anything gear related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaGeorge View Post
Either way, even if you plug straight into an amp but have to use a long run of cable for whatever reason, there will be a change in tone due to... physics, some people may like what it does especially if they have extremely bright pickups but I think for most the sound of a short cable is what we're after in which case a buffer would be needed...
Who's the blues player that uses a 100' cable? Albert King? Part of his tone is due to that really long cable.
__________________
Instant Karma's gonna get you......

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
ReaGeorge
Member
 
ReaGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 70
ReaGeorge Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Who's the blues player that uses a 100' cable? Albert King? Part of his tone is due to that really long cable.
I think thats the one yeah, he must indeed have very hot pickups! :P
__________________
I currently play a: Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 2012

Through a: ZenDrive & Blues Cube Stage

And make guitar videos here: YouTube.com/ReaGeorge

Also twitter?: twitter.com/ReaGeorge
ReaGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #9
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator
 
Mr. Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,809
Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Pedal board....
Is anyone else of a similar mind? (That if you need a buffer, it's probably because you've gone astray somewhere)
I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but I will say that when you start buying pedals to fix problems caused by other pedals you're on a slippery slope, lol.
__________________
"The greatest threat to our way of life is our way of life." - Me
Mr. Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator
 
Mr. Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,809
Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaGeorge View Post
Sorry if it came across that way, not my intention at all, just wanted to share my experience.
Oh no worries - I just wasn't really familiar with you yet you've been a member here as long as I have, lol. Just been kind of laying low?

Anyway happy to have you onboard and active. Good discussion!
__________________
"The greatest threat to our way of life is our way of life." - Me
Mr. Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Competition | Piano Lessons