Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #1
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket
Default Forgot I Had This

About 6-7 years ago I bought a guitar from a company in China called Sunsmile. They have a website and a booth at the major guitar show (NAMM)? but you can't buy from the website. The amount and the variety of guitars they make is crazy and I suspect they make a lot of guitars for some well known names but Im not sure. But you can't buy from the website as the idea is that they sell in bulk. I contacted them a about buying a "sample" and they had no issue with it. I picked out something that looked a lot like John Lennons early Ric. I paid $99 for it and about the same to have it shipped to my door. The guitar came and was pretty nice except for the pickups. They were mini humbuckers and moving from one switch position to another did nothing and they were thin. I knew this guy on my mail route at the time who did contract work for Guitar Center and he said he could re route the holes and it would barely fit normal size humbuckers if I wanted to go that route. I bought 3 retrotron pups from guitar center and he did the work and put in a 5 way rotary switch. Many combonations and it sounded really good. About two months later though one of the wires must have come loose as it would cut out in certain positions. I kinda put it aside and one day I removed the middle pup and was thinking I would so something with it. Anyway, we moved to Nevada and it's been out in my shed in a gig bag for 3 years. Many mornings well below freezing and summer days around 95. I pulled it out today and it seems fine. It plays well, amazingly well and is really easy to play. Maybe because it's a short scale 24.75. Not one sharp fret on this thing. My plan is to take it to a repair guy and have him re wire it with a 3 way switch and two pups only. The reason I removed the middle pup is that it was just way to crowded. What im asking here is what are some ideas of what would work that will fill up that middle pup hole? It almost seems like some kind of a nice plate that was made to fit on the pup cover would do the job but Im not sure. Im posting some pics for some ideas. I have to link to the website just to show how many guitars that they make. I also have a youtube vid of the guy playing my guitar with the crap pups in it. Anyway, im open to ideas. Thanks.

http://www.ssmii.com/guitars.asp

And the vid from youyube

Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:23 AM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

How about cutting out a piece of wood, mount it under the pickup ring, and paint it red?

Who makes retrotron pickups?

It sounded pretty damn good in the demo. Why did you swap the pups?

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
How about cutting out a piece of wood, mount it under the pickup ring, and paint it red?

Who makes retrotron pickups?

It sounded pretty damn good in the demo. Why did you swap the pups?
GFS.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:07 AM   #4
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

That's a really cool looking guitar. If it feels good to play now, it ought to be a lot of fun when you get it re-wired.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:26 AM   #5
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I would make a complete pickguard/electroncs cover plate in the strat style. I use single-ply black acrylic sheet from the home handyman store. It would look pretty good on that. Here's an example on my modded Peavey:

Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:07 AM   #6
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

I'd just put the pickup back in there, connected or not.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
Cobalt
Collab Serf

All good suggestions. I like all the ideas but Im toying over what would look the best and what would be the easiest to do. Putting the old pup back in would be the easiest (if i can find it) but there is that "over crowded" look. Still trying to decide if a thin piece of chrome or a piece of black plastic fit into that pick up cover would actually work. Even a think slice of red painted wood would work but I don't think I could match the colors. I have a box in the shed with the pick guard and parts I need to find. Tony has a good idea but I don't think I could pull that one off.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Seriously, if it were mine, I'd probably put black duct tape over the hole. Or red, to match. It would be like a weird take on "road worn." For me, that giant pickup ring looks like it's crowding everything. I'd take the ring off, and put red duct tape over for the meantime.

I never liked the 3 humbucker look.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:59 AM   #9
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I would make a complete pickguard/electroncs cover plate in the strat style. I use single-ply black acrylic sheet from the home handyman store. It would look pretty good on that. Here's an example on my modded Peavey:

I was thinking of trying this but keeping the existing pick guard on that sits to the right of the pups (you can see it in the video) and making one to fit over the pups and that would cover the hole. I would remove those black pick up covers and try to cut a piece that would fit over that. I don't think Im capable of cutting something to fit over the pups and the knobs and switch all together but what I am thinking of may work. What do you think?
Old 01-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #10
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I would remove the black unused pickup ring and then experiment. Try a piece of red duct tape over the hole to try out that effect. If your pick guard is white, try using white duct tape to cover the hole.

When you settle on the effect that you want, try painting a piece of cardboard. If you end up matching the color pretty well, cut a piece of wood, paint that and call it a day.

I don't like the 3 humbucker look either so I'd start by taking that black surround off.

After experimenting, if white looks good as a cover then that's when you could cut some plastic so it would look like an extension of the pick guard.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote