Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 12-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts
Default New Reverb Pedal Coming!!!

One of the gifts I got for Christmas was a $50 Amazon Gift Certificate from my wife's dear old grandmother who's like 87 or so. So I put that to good use!

What's been missing in my gear arsenal is reverb! I have a multi-fx unit that has all kinds of reverb models but I've never really bonded with that unit, least of all for any potential live applications.

I absolutely LOVE the cleans on my Bassman. They're so sparkly and chimey and the way that amp projects in the jam room with its 4x10 speaker configuration it almost sounds like there's a little bit of reverb anyway.

But I've wanted an actual pedal for awhile. And I realized what I want is something that has a lot of flexibility and stuff that you CAN tweak to really dial things in but that's also like stupid-simple to use in a live setting.

So I settled on THIS bad boy: The TC Electronics Hall of Fame Mini Reverb

I think it'll be AWESOME for live settings because it's small enough to fit on my tiny little "gig board" and there's only a single knob to adjust the overall level of reverb. They ship from the factory loaded with a basic plate reverb sound that's probably pretty close to what I'd want for most of my songs right out of the box.

But in terms of flexibility this is one of TC's pedals that features tone prints. So you can use an app to download all kinds of different reverb styles they've cooked up, including a bunch of them that were designed with famous guitarists, Vai, Petrucci, etc. Or you can make your own toneprints and tweak all kinds of various parameters. To load a new tone print you basically use the app to stream the new settings you want from your phone THROUGH your guitar's pickup to the pedal. So that's pretty rad.

So yeah, they're $99 which is pretty reasonable even for a simple reverb with just one sound that you like. Add all the extra shit this thing can do, and the fact that my gift cert basically let me get it for half price - what could go wrong?

Can't wait for this little bugger to show up. Should have it in a week.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Nice choice. TC Electronics has good stuff......
Old 12-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Congratulations! So, does that go in front of the amp? Or effects loop? I watched the demo, it sounds great! I loved the toneprint and tone studio on my ex TC Sub n' Up.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Very sweet, and tiny which saves on real estate.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I have the large version of the HOF and it's a fantastic pedal. Congrats.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Congratulations! So, does that go in front of the amp? Or effects loop? I watched the demo, it sounds great! I loved the toneprint and tone studio on my ex TC Sub n' Up.
I saw a demo vid from the company where the guy said it will work well in either application. I have 2 amps with enough horsepower to gig with - one has an effects loop, the other does not. I'm not exactly sure how I'll set this up. I have 2 boards as well - one for "mucking about" and goofing around and just trying to get cool sounds and the other more simplified no bullshit one for rehearsals and gigging. As of now I'm thinking I'll stick this at the end of the chain on my gig board. Might be able to replace my chorus altogether as this thing is capable of modulation if you make your own toneprints.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:18 AM   #7
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
One of the gifts I got for Christmas was a $50 Amazon Gift Certificate from my wife's dear old grandmother who's like 87 or so. So I put that to good use!

What's been missing in my gear arsenal is reverb! I have a multi-fx unit that has all kinds of reverb models but I've never really bonded with that unit, least of all for any potential live applications.

I absolutely LOVE the cleans on my Bassman. They're so sparkly and chimey and the way that amp projects in the jam room with its 4x10 speaker configuration it almost sounds like there's a little bit of reverb anyway.

But I've wanted an actual pedal for awhile. And I realized what I want is something that has a lot of flexibility and stuff that you CAN tweak to really dial things in but that's also like stupid-simple to use in a live setting.

So I settled on THIS bad boy: The TC Electronics Hall of Fame Mini Reverb

I think it'll be AWESOME for live settings because it's small enough to fit on my tiny little "gig board" and there's only a single knob to adjust the overall level of reverb. They ship from the factory loaded with a basic plate reverb sound that's probably pretty close to what I'd want for most of my songs right out of the box.

But in terms of flexibility this is one of TC's pedals that features tone prints. So you can use an app to download all kinds of different reverb styles they've cooked up, including a bunch of them that were designed with famous guitarists, Vai, Petrucci, etc. Or you can make your own toneprints and tweak all kinds of various parameters. To load a new tone print you basically use the app to stream the new settings you want from your phone THROUGH your guitar's pickup to the pedal. So that's pretty rad.

So yeah, they're $99 which is pretty reasonable even for a simple reverb with just one sound that you like. Add all the extra shit this thing can do, and the fact that my gift cert basically let me get it for half price - what could go wrong?

Can't wait for this little bugger to show up. Should have it in a week.
Nice reverb. You can't go wrong with TC.
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I am interested in hearing recordings when you get used to using the pedal.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 PM   #9
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
To load a new tone print you basically use the app to stream the new settings you want from your phone THROUGH your guitar's pickup to the pedal. So that's pretty rad.
So you can reprogram it wirelessly, from your phone's bluetooth (or something)? That's so cool. I never heard of a pedal doing that. Not that I'm very educated on pedals. Please give us full review after you get it and have some miles on it!
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:11 AM   #10
Fletcher_DD-537

Fletcher_DD-537 Just getting started

I have the full size Arena Reverb pedal from TC. It's a Guitar Center specific Hall of Fame with a couple of different settings. Sounds really good- like my other TC effects.

One note:

I have found that, to MY ears, TC pedals (excepting dirt pedals of course) tend to like operating at line level vs instrument level. At least the Flashback and Corona do- I never considered putting my reverb in front of my amp. I always assumed it was just a digital thing- preferring to operate at a specific voltage.

My MXR pedals don't seem to care which way they get used.

Edit: I also have a multi-fx unit for my bass that I never got along with. It suffers badly from 10# in a 5# bag syndrome... Also, I think it's smarter than me, and it's novel sized instruction manual is hopelessly complicated. It's become a dust collector, until I get around to trading it in or selling it. I replaced it with a couple of cheap second hand Boss pedals that just give me what I want and nothing more. (Super Chorus; Flanger, and tremolo. The Flanger is just used in gated mode for that choppy sound.)

Last edited by Fletcher_DD-537; 01-02-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Fletcher_DD-537 is offline   Reply With Quote