Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 12-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal
Default Buffer / volume pedal with tuner out.

Ok here is my set up -
Guitar - tuner - compressor - overdrive ( 2 of ) - distortion - reverb - chorus - delay - boost - volume - preamp - mixer.

My tuner when on mutes the signal. What I am thinking about is getting a volume pedal with a tuner out to let me have the tuner on all the time but I can silently tune by having the volume down on the volume pedal.

This in turn would put the tuner last in line with the VP.
My concern is reading up all about high impedance or too low impedance and needing a buffer before the pedal .

Potential tone sucking as the signal gets split to go to the tuner but will I have a problem with this as the volume/ tuner would be last before the preamp. All this tech stuff hurts my head any advice guys ?

So new potential chain
Guitar - compressor - overdrive x2 - distortion- reverb - chorus - delay - boost - volume/tuner - preamp - mixer.

Cheers folks hope you all have a nice Xmas but please help me get my own belated Xmas lol
Abo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

When a tuner is on, isn't that an automatic kill switch? Meaning, even with the volume pedal, your signal is off, no?

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
Abo

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Not in the latter set up. When it goes into the volume pedal with tuner out the signal splits a signal to the tuner and nothing comes out the tuner output. The other signal carries on as normal i think
Old 12-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
Not in the latter set up. When it goes into the volume pedal with tuner out the signal splits a signal to the tuner and nothing comes out the tuner output. The other signal carries on as normal i think
This is the set up I use and it works well. The tuner is always on and I just back off the volume pedal and there you go silent tuning without the tuner in the loop being a source of signal degradation. I recently purchased one of these http://visionguitar.com/shop/new-car...edal-switcher/. I am just delving into this but I think it will work out in really cool way
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:12 AM   #5
Abo

So is your tuner in an fx loop ?
Sorry your post was a little confusing six. I have no fx loop .

What is a buffer ? It said somewhere a boss type pedal is a buffer and it is recommended before the volume pedal. All to do with impedance.
As I have pedals before the volume pedal does this mean I can use any VP with tuner out option and not lose any top end ?
Old 12-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Abs, before I get a headache trying to sort this out, I think if your tuner, or some other pedal has a bypass out, you can achieve what you want. In essence, the tuner/other pedal becomes a splitter.

Boss's Tu-2 & 3 tuners are made to do just what you want. I think.

IF: So new potential chain
Guitar - compressor - overdrive x2 - distortion- reverb - chorus - delay - boost - volume/tuner - preamp - mixer.

if this in fact splits the signal, it should work. I'm too sleep deprived to really make sense of it.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

I am referring to your pedal loop, (pedal chain), not your effects loop. Does your volume pedal have a tuner out? I am going to assume yes, and if so it should make little difference if any of your overall tone. You are using a number of pedals so a buffer could help for signal quality: https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ning_Good_Tone . I think a better way of maintaining overall tonage with that many pedals would be a true bypass looper. Check it below:

Ps, I have it on good authority the ape builds these.....

Last edited by Sixstringplayer; 12-26-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
New potential chain
Guitar - compressor - overdrive x2 - distortion- reverb - chorus - delay - boost - volume/tuner - preamp - mixer
Looks like I'm in the minority on this one, but I actually recommend placing the tuner BEFORE the effects (distortion, chorus, etc.).
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:12 AM   #9
Abo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Looks like I'm in the minority on this one, but I actually recommend placing the tuner BEFORE the effects (distortion, chorus, etc.).
Yeah I normally have it first and that was a concern.
My volume pedal is an old thing without the tuner out option. I am really trying to justify having to buy another one lol.

The volume pedal at the end of my chain is a must as I can mix my sound and have total control of the level without affecting gain with this set up.

I would recommend it. That said I am not using an amp for drive or distortion. Any amp I used before I always had on the cleanest setting possible.

Every set up has it's pros and cons I suppose
Thanks for your help guys
Old 12-27-2017, 03:13 AM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

Now that I've been awake a few hours, I wait, no, I DON'T think that will work unless there's a bypass out. So will this work or not?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk