Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 11-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
R3-AUA

R3-AUA Just getting started
Default Volume pedal: where would you put it?

I just bought an Ernie Ball VP jr off Reverb yesterday. This is my first volume pedal so Iíve never used one. Once it arrives I of course plan on experimenting with it because I read that you can practically put a volume pedal anywhere in the chain, depending on what youíre looking for.

But my question is: where do you run yours in your chain and why?
R3-AUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm an idiot and know nothing, but I'd put it first in line. To me, it's a foot operated volume knob. How would the volume pedal affect tone? What pot does it use?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

If you put it before any gain it will act like the volume on the guitar and clean up your signal. I use mine st the end as i use it to mix my volume not to adjust tone
Abo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
If you put it before any gain it will act like the volume on the guitar and clean up your signal. I use mine st the end as i use it to mix my volume not to adjust tone
What he said.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Me too, I used to have one, i put it last
Old 11-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
R3-AUA

R3-AUA Just getting started

Thank you all! It seems that putting it last in the chain is more popular around here.
R3-AUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
crank

crank Just getting started

Mine is second after wha.
crank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3-AUA View Post
Thank you all! It seems that putting it last in the chain is more popular around here.
It really all depends on what you are using the volume pedal for. If your purpose for the pedal is to adjust your level and not impact how you other effects sounds or are working, then last in the chain is where you want it.

If you want to use it to clean up your tone if you want, put it first. Like Abo said, here it works just like the volume control on your guitar. Working a volume pedal could be easier than rolling your volume control.

I actually don't use a volume pedal, but I have an EQ last in my chain set for a 6db boost for when I want to kick up my volume for a lead.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #9
OzInventions

OzInventions Just getting started

I think it would affect the tone if it was put last. The ernie ball jr is a 250 Kohm volume pedal. That is close to the impedance of the guitar pickups and so maximum signal transfer occurs across the interface.

The output impedance of effects units is usually much less than 250k, usually only a couple of Kohm, and so you would be connecting an effect unit output impedance of 10Kohm to an volume pedal input impedance of 250K ohm. I think that would do something unwanted to the tone.

Anyway, that's just theory. The proof would be to try it.
OzInventions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:13 AM   #10
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I'm an idiot and know nothing, but I'd put it first in line.
I'm an idiot too but I'd say you're right. And then maybe put your tuner pedal in front of it?
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote