Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 10-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
GrooveRedman

GrooveRedman Just getting started
Question Question about warranty

Hello , a few months ago I was having a problem with some buzzing sound coming from the amp but whenever I touched the strings this would go away so I did a shielding with aluminium tape, the question is, is the warranty of the guitar still available even after unscrewing the pickguard to tape the inside or is it gone? Because I want to send it back where I bought it (thomann) to fix the frets which are not leveled (which is realized kinda late...).
GrooveRedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Warrantees are like people. No two are alike. Shielding the cavity shouldn't void the warrantee but who knows what they will tell you. There's really no reason for them to open the cavities just to do a neck set up so just don't mention it to them. With that said, they might tell you that the neck setup is your responsibility because most folks tell their guitar tech how they want it set up. Warrantees are a crap shoot in most cases.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #3
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Depends on the manufacturer. Fender has a long warranty that basically protects nothing. The guitar is a usable item, with that comes wear which they proclaim loudly that they don't cover.

They will protect against defect, if you can prove it came that way. That can be hard to do. I wouldn't trust Fender's or any one else's warranty with a commodity that is meant to be used and wear out. I tried them out on my neck flaking issue which WAS a defect, but by the time I inquired, the wear to the guitar was more than they considered defective.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

This is my second post on this subject. Fender is pretty particular about what work is done on their instruments. To keep your warrantee in force, they require all work to be performed by a Fender authorized tech. I was a Fender authorized tech in a Fender dealership and as long as I performed work that was listed on my certification the warrantee's stayed in effect. Here's the rub. Its cheaper for you to find a local Fender tech and pay them to do a complete neck setup than it is for you to pay to ship it back to Fender and then pay again to ship it back to you. If you bought it at a music store that has a Fender tech, you should take it to that store and ask them to correct the fret problem. If its a decent store, they will do it for free and and chalk it up to good customer service. I don't recall ever sending Fender a bill for any Fender tech work. Its just too much trouble. If a part failed (tuning key, pickup, input jack, Volume or Tone control) I usually asked the customer to buy the part and I installed it for free. Each circumstance stood on its own merit and in some cases, like a dead pickup, I'd ask Fender to send us a replacement pickup.

Last edited by PKVeazey; 11-29-2017 at 05:06 AM.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Call thomann and see if they'll take the guitar back, or fix it.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
This is my second post on this subject. Fender is pretty particular about what work is done on their instruments. To keep your warrantee in force, they require all work to be performed by a Fender authorized tech. I was a Fender authorized tech in a Fender dealership and as long as I performed work that was listed on my certification the warrantee's stayed in effect. Here's the rub. Its cheaper for you to find a local Fender tech and pay them to do a complete neck setup than it is for you to pay to ship it back to Fender and then pay again to ship it back to you. If you bought it at a music store that has a Fender tech, you should take it to that store and ask them to correct the fret problem. If its a decent store, they will do it for free and and chalk it up to good customer service. I don't recall ever sending Fender a bill for any Fender tech work. Its just too much trouble. If a part failed (tuning key, pickup, input jack, Volume or Tone control) I usually asked the customer to buy the part and I installed it for free. Each circumstance stood on its own merit and in some cases, like a dead pickup, I'd ask Fender to send us a replacement pickup.
This is the one portion of the warranty that I did observe with my particular specimen, take it to an authorized repair man, it still cost major bucks to get it repaired.