Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 05-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #11
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmurrayjr View Post
Very good. Thanks for the link.

I think the bottom line, LBB, is that each of these sounds better with a Tele and a looper.

You had me at "Tele."

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #12
R3-AUA

R3-AUA Just getting started

Could it be argued that the difference is in the delay? Meaning chorus is more "delayed" than a flanger, and the phaser is the least?
R3-AUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
MikeyH
Geezer

MikeyH Just getting started

I've never owned either, but I think the original flanging effect was made by running two tape reels of the same recorded sound simultaneously and slowing one of the reels by hand. Maybe alternately speeding up and slowing down one reel by hand? The sound is a bit like a doppler effect to my ear, maybe with a bit of jet engine added? It was all over the Kooper/Bloomfield/Stills Super Session LP. As a result the record now sounds sadly dated and annoying to me. Might be interesting to hear what it would sound like if they hadn't been so enamored with the (then novel) effect.

The "unison" courses on my Danelectro 12-string (B and high E string pairs) have a chorusey tone to me, I guess because the two theoretically identical notes are ever so slightly out of sync. A similar effect can be heard when simultaneously playing the same note on two strings (fifth fret B-string E and high E string open together for example).
MikeyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:28 AM   #14
nat hale

nat hale has disabled reputation

they are almost like distant relatives of each other..lol.....anyway...chorus tends to sparkle the sound a bit and flange is a bit swirlier and spacier and has more of a swooshing type of effect......i used to think they were hard to differentiate at one point though...but theres an obvious difference depending on how much you use of each..with.different pedals or presets....flange can have a relatively similar chorus effect though if the settings are really low...ive found...but when its cranked thats when the difference becomes pretty evident

Last edited by nat hale; 05-29-2016 at 06:08 AM.
nat hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #15
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I don't think of them as being all that related but with pedals (as opposed to more limited built-in effect in an amp), as was mentioned, if you have the effect set low it might sound like something else that is also set low.

The flanger, as mentioned above, is a modulation effect that is like using your hand to slow down and speed up a tape. Chorus has some delay to give the effect that several guitars are playing together. For chorus, I always think of most any song by the Pretenders.

I sometimes use a little flanger with an overdriven sound and it somehow often sounds good to me. I rarely use chorus and when I do, it's on a low setting just to get a fuller sound.

I rarely use my pedals and while I do have a chorus pedal I don't have a flanger. I mainly use those effects when I'm using my Roland MicroCube that has them built-in. So if I'm playing "Sleepwalk" I'll be using reverb and maybe I'll add a little chorus.

Phaser, to me, sounds like a more out of control flanger and I rarely use that.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #16
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Here's a technical explanation I found online

The chorus and the flanger are based on the same principle: a short delay with modulation. The modulation is done with an LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator). The LFO makes small variations of the delay time constant following a sinus curve ~~~, triangle curve v^v^v or square curve.

The oscillation is low, usually between 0.2 Hz and 10 Hz. It means that the cycle of the LFO is 0.2 time/second (10 seconds for a complete cycle) or 10 times/second. The difference in the flanger is that the delay has feedback, so a re-injection of the delay on itself, which the chorus doesn't have. This re-injection gives a metallic sound. That is the first difference. The second difference is the delay time is shorter on a flanger than on a chorus. What is the result?

On a flanger effect, you can easily hear the changing of the phases of the sound, the rotating sound, the cycles of the LFO. The flanger is metallic and "jet" like sound and is often compared to the sound of a jet taking off or flying past. In a chorus, the modulation is gentle, almost inaudible. That gives you a "liquid" effect, soft, the sound is less metallic and more subtle. The chorus is so gentle that it is usable often. The flanger is louder and more pronounced as an effect so it is less usable for a long period. If it is used too long, it becomes a bit tedious.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #17
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Wanna play FUNK? Use a flanger. Wanna play pretty, use a chorus.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #18
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
Here's a technical explanation I found online...

...The oscillation is low, usually between 0.2 Hz and 10 Hz. It means that the cycle of the LFO is 0.2 time/second (10 seconds for a complete cycle) or 10 times/second. The difference in the flanger is that the delay has feedback, so a re-injection of the delay on itself, which the chorus doesn't have. This re-injection gives a metallic sound. That is the first difference. The second difference is the delay time is shorter on a flanger than on a chorus. ...
What language is this? Is this English? Nosebleed...
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #19
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
What language is this? Is this English? Nosebleed...
LOL... ok interpretation...

Both use automatic variable delay blended with the signal. so like a manual chorus would be similar to if a person sat there and rotated the 'delay time' knob on a delay stomp box back and forth while playing.

the speed that it rotates the delay up and down is anywhere from one cycle every 5 seconds to as fast as 10times a second

the flanger does that but also sends the delayed signal back to the beginning so it gets run though again over and over ect.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #20
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
As some of you may know, I have acquired a DOD flanger fx747 for dirt cheap at a thrift store. I was going to sell it but I think I'll keep it as a back up.

I read that a flanger could also do chorus. Would you agree? So ehat is the difference (I already know but thought it would be a nice discussion)? What would you prefer (chorus or flanger) and why?
Newbie here,

I'm no expert on effects but I prefer chorus to flanger. To me a chorus is more natural sounding and seems to respond better to my playing. A flanger seems to be always whirring like on a one track no matter how I play.

Just my 2 cents.
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote