Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 05-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default Difference between chorus vs flanger?

As some of you may know, I have acquired a DOD flanger fx747 for dirt cheap at a thrift store. I was going to sell it but I think I'll keep it as a back up.

I read that a flanger could also do chorus. Would you agree? So ehat is the difference (I already know but thought it would be a nice discussion)? What would you prefer (chorus or flanger) and why?
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

http://makingmusicmag.com/difference...chorus-effect/

Better than I'll ever be able to explain it. I like chorus best of all, if I'm gonna use any of the 3. I have a flange, but have no use for it.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
jwmurrayjr

jwmurrayjr Just getting started jwmurrayjr Just getting started
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
http://makingmusicmag.com/difference...chorus-effect/

Better than I'll ever be able to explain it. I like chorus best of all, if I'm gonna use any of the 3. I have a flange, but have no use for it.
Very good. Thanks for the link.

I think the bottom line, LBB, is that each of these sounds better with a Tele and a looper.

Washburn Classical, Epi LP Spec I, SX S-type, Fender Starcaster, Hadean T-type, Epi LP Jr., Zoom G1Xon

"I'll never own an expensive guitar. If I won one, I'd sell it and buy some inexpensive guitars and a couple burritos."
Cyphre.
jwmurrayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmurrayjr View Post
Very good. Thanks for the link.

I think the bottom line, LBB, is that each of these sounds better with a Tele and a looper.

Yeah! So looper first.

Thanks Slim!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
littlebadboy

Just read the article... it sounds like flanger could do chorus too but chorus can't do flanger. So would flanger be a better choice? When I was still using pedals when I was starting out, all I had was an Ibanez Fat Cat (I think), an Arion Stereo Flanger, and a Boss acoustic simulator. I remember the flanger being able to get the chorus sounds.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
jwmurrayjr

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Just read the article... it sounds like flanger could do chorus too but chorus can't do flanger. So would flanger be a better choice? When I was still using pedals when I was starting out, all I had was an Ibanez Fat Cat (I think), an Arion Stereo Flanger, and a Boss acoustic simulator. I remember the flanger being able to get the chorus sounds.
Won't the GT-6 do chorus? That seems pretty basic.

Washburn Classical, Epi LP Spec I, SX S-type, Fender Starcaster, Hadean T-type, Epi LP Jr., Zoom G1Xon

"I'll never own an expensive guitar. If I won one, I'd sell it and buy some inexpensive guitars and a couple burritos."
Cyphre.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Yeah! So looper first.

Thanks Slim!
I'll be your rock block. I have a Boss looper, but probably have used it less than 5 times. I can record rhythm, and just loop it through my computer (output through my THR). I know you can layer things live, with the Boss, dunno about the Ditto.

I've seen impressive things done live with a looper, I just personally haven't found great use for it.

Quote:
It could be pedal specific, imo. In my experience, some pedals of the same type, are simply more versatile (and why I have so many damn pedals I don't use). When I think of flangers and phase pedals, I think of space effects.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
Thumpalumpacus
Carlinist

Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies

I had an old chorus pedal that, at extreme settings -- max depth, min rate, hard "exciter" -- could get flanger "whoosh" with no problem. Internet pic, same unit:

Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
littlebadboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmurrayjr View Post
Won't the GT-6 do chorus? That seems pretty basic.
The GT-6 is great! Just thought of a back up setup. Footswitch for the Bandit's drive and reverb. Then I'll loop the flanger into the loop. That should be enough.

My GT is upstairs in the loft/office. Band room is downstairs in basement. Its tiring lugging the GT up and down.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #10
jwmurrayjr

Smile

Quote:
The GT-6 is great! Just thought of a back up setup. Footswitch for the Bandit's drive and reverb. Then I'll loop the flanger into the loop. That should be enough.

My GT is upstairs in the loft/office. Band room is downstairs in basement. Its tiring lugging the GT up and down.
Get two. Or three and send me one. They seem to be pricey around here. I think folks that have pedals are more savvy than those that CL cheap guitars.

Cyphre.