Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 01-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
Fletcher_DD-537

Fletcher_DD-537 Just getting started
Default Tremolo.

I'm looking for a tremolo pedal that does that vintage Fender amp tremolo. Any suggestions?

Currently, all I have is a Boss Tremolo that I use with my bass amp. Works quite well for that purpose, but it doesn't really do the type of tremolo I'm really wanting...

The only option I can think of is that Strymon pedal that does both Trem and reverb. I've been gassing for that for ages, but no local dealers- I'd have to order it. It's also pricey!

My new amp has no trem on it. I haven't bothered before, as both the Mustang III and the SuperChamp x2 have good tremolo on them, so no need for a pedal.
Fletcher_DD-537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I have a question regarding tremelo. When you use it do you usually use it for the whole song or do you turn it on and off within the song?
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:59 AM   #3
Fletcher_DD-537

Fletcher_DD-537 Just getting started

I'm just a bedroom player, so I use it whenever I want to play something with tremolo.

A foot pedal would be most convenient. My M III only has the 2 button footswitch, so I had to reach over and press the mod button to turn it on or off. The SC X2 I have to reach over and either turn the level pot all the way off, or change to another effect.

Both can be hooked up to a computer with Fuse, but I haven't ever done that.

I'm just looking for that lush vintage-y sound. The Boss is very flexible, and sounds good, but it's strictly volume modulation- the characteristic sounds associated with amp based trem just aren't present. (it's a more complex sound.)

Fender did a great job modelling that on their modeling amps- the "vintage Tremolo" effect on the Mustangs is great, as is the one on the SuperChamp. I've had a Vox VT series amp as well, and while it does amp tones very well, the trem sounds a bit crap imo. Too bad, the trem on their AC series amps sounds excellent.
Fletcher_DD-537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 AM   #4
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Thanks. I was just curious. As a kid I had an amp that had tremolo but I never used it as it was going all the time. Now, my Blues Jr. doesn't have it but my practice modeling amp does.

I've tried it out on some songs and it is a cool effect but for most songs I just imagined that it might be better to have it only come on for certain parts of songs and it can't really be playing and turning it on and off at the same time with amp controls so I just wondered how others used it.

Sorry to derail the thread.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote