Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 10-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
Daniel Trent

Daniel Trent Just getting started
Default Humming from acoustic guitar while trying to record

My Taylor Concert 114 acoustic guitar has this strange problem where I can plug it into any amplifier and it sounds fine....crisp and clear. But the moment I plug it into my Yamaha AW16G I get a bad buzzing/humming that stops when I touch the cable plugged into the guitar. Any suggestions on where to go? Are the electronics in my guitar flawed possibly?
Daniel Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

It could be anything causing it. I'm going to assume it has a piezo pickup system in the bridge. Most hums or buzzes that go away when touched are a floating ground somewhere in the pickup system. If you can't find it, you'll have to play through your amp and mike it to the recording system. Sometimes you can pick up the signal from an amps headphone jack if it has one. Then feed that into your recorder.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Mister_guitarist

Mister_guitarist Just getting started

do you use a D/I box? that could be the issue. if you plug the jack straight into a mixer you have an unbalanced signal, as in: not connected to ground. if you let it run trough a DI, it makes a balanced left/right/ ground signal. so: guitar->jack->DI->XLR-.yamaha. you should try this first
Mister_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Daniel Trent

Default It fixed itself

I took the Yamaha unit from the basement where it was buzzing into the main floor and the buzz went away completely. I'm thinking the wiring circuit in the basement has a ground loop or something...IDK. But the signal is now clear with no buzzing.

It has to be the house, right!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

What would be interesting, would be to go back in the basement, but use a long extension cord plugged in upstairs, see if the buzzing is from the power downstairs, or the environment.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #6
Daniel Trent

This has to be the strangest fix I have ever encountered. Ok, hear me out. The recorder worked in the living room with not only my guitar but a DVD/VHS recorder I was using to record dialogue from the movie Pootie Tang on VHS onto. I brought the recorder in my room which is also on the main floor and I got humming again, which stops when I touch the end of the cable. Perplexed, I stewed on it and thought it best to recreate the situation when it worked, in the same outlet. I did and it did work. Zero humming.

It turns out that when the AW16g is plugged into the DVD/VHS recorder, which is then plugged into the TV by HDMI cable it works. Eliminate any of those and it hums.

Here's where it gets me even more stumped is I tried to recreate the situation I now know works in my own room and TV and the humming came back. So I've set up shop in the living room and am currently recording some tunes.

I've narrowed it down to a situation that works. Problem is I have absolutely no idea why.