Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 06-18-2017, 02:41 AM   #1
kaiburns

kaiburns Just getting started
Default Which amp has the closest sound to a Diezel VH4?

I played a Diezel VH4 at a guitar store a while ago and I was blown away. It's become my dream amp... but what wasn't amazing was the $4,400 price tag. So I did some looking for amps under $2000 that sound like a VH4. I've heard that the Bogner Shiva and the Soldano Avenger (basically an SLO-100 but without cleans and much less expensive) can get close to a Diezel VH4. Out of those amps, which is the closest? I'm guessing the Soldano Avenger would cut nicer in the mix, but the mid scooped (not really scooped, but not as much mids as the Soldano) sound of the Bogner would be closer to a Diezel VH4. Or I might be completely wrong.

If these amps both sound nothing like a Diezel, what amps do?

Last edited by kaiburns; 06-18-2017 at 02:51 AM.
kaiburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
LaPanthere

LaPanthere Just getting started

You might check an ENGL or eventually a VHT. i think the ENGL are closests to the Diezel. The VH4 is $4400 over there? That's almost stealing, they list at Euro 2700 in Europe, so $3000

I think the sound of a Diezel is way more compressed/smooth than a Soldano, and maybe the Bogner Ecstasy can come close (but is more expensive than the Diezel). I don't know about the Shiva.

Another question is - which VH4 you want to come close? The EL34 or the KT77 version?
Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
kaiburns

kaiburns Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPanthere View Post
You might check an ENGL or eventually a VHT. i think the ENGL are closests to the Diezel. The VH4 is $4400 over there? That's almost stealing, they list at Euro 2700 in Europe, so $3000

I think the sound of a Diezel is way more compressed/smooth than a Soldano, and maybe the Bogner Ecstasy can come close (but is more expensive than the Diezel). I don't know about the Shiva.

Another question is - which VH4 you want to come close? The EL34 or the KT77 version?
I just found Diezel are making a VH2. It's a two channel VH4 without all the Midi and channel inserts and extra switchings (which I don't need).

It's gonna be about $2500, which is a bit over my budget, but I'll see what I can do. If I can't, I'll try the Bogner Twin Jet, which I'm sure can get close enough to a VH4. Maybe I could get the Twin Jet and the VH4 pedal and mix up the distortion sounds of both... that would be cool 😎
Pro Co Rat
MXR 10-Band EQ

The Wolstomcaster: http://www.guitarforums.com/showthread.php?t=46348
kaiburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
FillmoreNYC
Monsters are our friends

FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

If you're looking at Soldano's, I'd be looking at one of the "Hot Rod" series of amps (Mike Soldano builds a Hot Rod 50, a Hot Rod 50 plus, a Hot Rod 100 and a Hot Rod 100 Plus... the regular Hot Rods are single channel, based on the SLO's lead channel, and the "Plus" indicates that its a two channel amp, same lead channel, but it also has a clean channel.).

The Hot Rod series of Soldano's are as close to an SLO as you'll find in terms of tone and response IF an SLO tone what you're looking for, but wanna keep the cost down. You can find them for under $2k, especially on Used GC's site.

I've never played thru a Diezel VH4, but I did own a Soldano HR50 and I do own an SLO now, so I can vouch for their similarity.

If you know Soldano's at all, you already know what a fire breathing beast the SLO is... the Hot Rod 50 is NO slouch. That thing can blow the walls down, and is an amazing sounding amp. Its also reliable as the sun. I sold the HR50 when I got the SLO, but I had Mike Soldano install the "depth mod" in both of them. They're absolutely ferocious amps.
You can easily find the HR50 for under $1500.