Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 12-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #21
crank

crank Just getting started

That's 1 reason that when I play in multiple bands I play different genres so there is not that overlap of competing for the same gigs.

My main gigging band is, amazingly, super organized. We share an online calendar and everybody puts in there "not available" dates as early as possible. We book way in advance: 22 gigs on the books for 2017 right now. Our singer is a booking machine and he usually books clubs for 3 gigs at a time. So now it's easy to book my second project as I have all the available dates and I will ask the others in it to give me any dates they know can't make before I go out and book anything.

Of course things come up and then we either reschedule, cancel or get a substitute player.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #22
Borodog

Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow

Everyone I know in multiple bands has a first come first served booking policy, and if someone can't make a date because their other band is booked, they just ask somebody to fill in. Almost always the guy who can't make it finds his own sub.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #23
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

In a small market in a localized area I can see how it can be an issue. I think it also depends on the scale of things...are we talking about a group of people doing this for fun and make some beer money or are we talking about people trying to make a living or gain some needed supplementary income.

The "market" I'm in has enough venues to keep various bands in the area afloat. It isn't cutthroat. At the same token, people playing in my area aren't making a living from it either. The guys making a living off it are playing in toward the city and "down the shore". Those guys are all in multiple bands.

Warren, my duo partner, occasionally does DJ gigs as the MC. I'm not going to begrudge him doing that. If I had the time and I could participate in another band, I doubt he'd have a problem with it. We both play and perform music for different reasons...like he says "he's the musician, I'm the entertainer". He's not going to begrudge me working with other people to get more of my "musician" fix on...and if he did it would be a problem.

If I were in a band, and I had the time and skill to be in another at the same time, I'd be quite resentful if my bandmates looked at me as though I was doing something wrong. When I left my previous band and later on ventured into a better opportunity, you'd think I committed a cardinal sin...how dare I!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #24
dimar5150

dimar5150 Just getting started

Guys that's not the crux of the issue. I have no problem with people having multiple projects, the real problem was that 2 of the members and the girlfriend received feedback about our BGVs and that they could use some work. They discussed the option of using the other subs that have played with this band and splitting members up with voices that worked well together. But I was never asked about that. I was TOLD.

So the solve was instead of getting into a room and rehearsing background vocals, they split the band into 2 teams. I ended up getting less gigs than the other guitarist, yet I'm a far superior guitarist that he is. ( Not tooting my horn, just truth). I was an original founding member of the band and I got less gigs and NO SAY? BS. So I actually quit. Why bother when there's many people who want to play with me.
dimar5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #25
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimar5150 View Post
Guys that's not the crux of the issue. I have no problem with people having multiple projects, the real problem was that 2 of the members and the girlfriend received feedback about our BGVs and that they could use some work. They discussed the option of using the other subs that have played with this band and splitting members up with voices that worked well together. But I was never asked about that. I was TOLD.

So the solve was instead of getting into a room and rehearsing background vocals, they split the band into 2 teams. I ended up getting less gigs than the other guitarist, yet I'm a far superior guitarist that he is. ( Not tooting my horn, just truth). I was an original founding member of the band and I got less gigs and NO SAY? BS. So I actually quit. Why bother when there's many people who want to play with me.
Yeah, threads have a way of going off track around here. On page 3, this thread is much closer on topic than most .

I agree that the situation you were presented with was BS, and I think you did the right thing leaving, especially if you have other opportunities. No reason for you to stick around and just be agitated and feeling disrespected and unappreciated.

Hopefully you were able to leave without burning a bridge. Musicians seem to move in tight circles and you don't want word getting out...true or not...that you are not easy to work with. Sometimes it can't be avoided...even though I left on what I thought were good terms from a previous band, I know of one gig my duo didn't get because of the situation. Get on the bad side of somebody and you can find yourself blackballed from venues and other opportunities.

It's not slavery and you are not committed to a band for life. In the end, you gotta do what you gotta do.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #26
pauln
Guitarist

pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts

Just to clear on what happened...

The band was using subs for bass and guitar sometimes (why was that?)
The leader of the band decided he preferred the sub bass and guitar
The leader split the band into two bands; "A", the band with the subs for bass and guitar, and "B", the other with the original bass and guitar (you)
The leader and band A take the gigs he booked
You and band B (which includes the original band's leader, same drummer, you and original bass, etc.) take the gigs the original bass booked
You quit band B

The leader of a band can do whatever he wants, does not need to ask anyone... he is free to make decisions without input or agreement.

- he can drop or replace band members
- he can split the band and reassign members

"Very angry that they turned this into a business venture..."

You are angry because he preferred the sub guitarist and put you in the band with fewer gigs and presumably inferior backup vocals. There is no such power status as "founding member"; that is an accident of history and has no musical bearing on a leader's decisions.

"So I actually quit. Why bother when there's many people who want to play with me."

You may be about to find out. When band leaders are not figuring out how to run off members they don't want, they worry a lot about how to hold the ones they do want. Quitting is real bad mojo, and that is difficult to overcome despite "I'm a far superior guitarist that he is. ( Not tooting my horn, just truth)."

Here is the important thing; you missed an opportunity with band B. You did not quit from band A, the leader demoted you to the split off band B, and you quit band B.

Do you know why the leader kept his gigs for band A and had band B take the original bass player's gigs? It is because the leader was following one of the few hard and firm rules of bands, gigs, and booking, which is that whomever books the gig owns the gig and has total control of the gig. The leader knows this and has forgone leadership of band B because all the band B gigs are booked by the original bass player now in band B - so the original bass player is the leader of band B.

You probably didn't even know this and quit without discussing it with the leader of band B, the original bass player. Now he is looking for another guitarist...
pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #27
dimar5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Just to clear on what happened...

The leader split the band into two bands; "A", the band with the subs for bass and guitar, and "B", the other with the original bass and guitar (you)
You and band B (which includes the original band's leader, same drummer, you and original bass, etc.) take the gigs the original bass booked
You quit band B

The leader of a band can do whatever he wants, does not need to ask anyone... he is free to make decisions without input or agreement.

- he can drop or replace band members
- he can split the band and reassign members

"Very angry that they turned this into a business venture..."

You are angry because he preferred the sub guitarist and put you in the band with fewer gigs and presumably inferior backup vocals. There is no such power status as "founding member"; that is an accident of history and has no musical bearing on a leader's decisions.

"So I actually quit. Why bother when there's many people who want to play with me."

You may be about to find out. When band leaders are not figuring out how to run off members they don't want, they worry a lot about how to hold the ones they do want. Quitting is real bad mojo, and that is difficult to overcome despite "I'm a far superior guitarist that he is. ( Not tooting my horn, just truth)."

Here is the important thing; you missed an opportunity with band B. You did not quit from band A, the leader demoted you to the split off band B, and you quit band B.

Do you know why the leader kept his gigs for band A and had band B take the original bass player's gigs? It is because the leader was following one of the few hard and firm rules of bands, gigs, and booking, which is that whomever books the gig owns the gig and has total control of the gig. The leader knows this and has forgone leadership of band B because all the band B gigs are booked by the original bass player now in band B - so the original bass player is the leader of band B.

You probably didn't even know this and quit without discussing it with the leader of band B, the original bass player. Now he is looking for another guitarist...

Because they were booking gigs last minute when some of us had other obligations. If we weren't available, they chose someone else. Also, I had thrown out my back a couple of times and was under Dr. orders not to lift equipment or stand/sit for long periods of time. I missed a few gigs this way (which were booked last minute) I have a full time career which pays my bills which is more important. Being out of work is not an option.

No his chick relayed feedback from other musicians that BGVs were not as good with me and the original bassist. So we were split with two guys that had better BVGs

No orignal bassist was split form me no win band "A"

You quit band B

I quit band "B" because I was getting less work and decisions were made without consulting me. This was a 4 piece band, we needed to have equal say.

"Do you know why the leader kept his gigs for band A and had band B take the original bass player's gigs? It is because the leader was following one of the few hard and firm rules of bands, gigs, and booking, which is that whomever books the gig owns the gig and has total control of the gig. The leader knows this and has forgone leadership of band B because all the band B gigs are booked by the original bass player now in band B - so the original bass player is the leader of band B."

No - The leader was a self centered ass with LSD. Him and his GF for that matter.

There was no "A" or "B" band. It was splitting the BGV vocal duties up and like I said, instead of working on the bands musicianship ( meaning get in a room and actually rehearse) it was easier to split the band up so Mr. LSD and original bassist could gig as much as they wanted.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #28
pauln
Guitarist

pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts

Your first post said, "... the band was being split up into two separate bands..."

Are you saying that you and the original bass were split so that you were paired with the sub bass and the original bass with the sub guitar? And one pairing would play some gigs, and the other pairing would play the others?
That is what I meant as band A and B... two versions of the band depending on which pair is performing.

That would still not make sense because the minority of the gigs booked by the original bass would be the ones that he would play because he booked them, and the ones that the new sub guitarist would play, because of the pairing. You would be playing the remaining majority of the gigs (the ones booked by the leader) where the sub bass and you were paired. I'm not seeing how you would play less than the other guitarist.

Sounds complicated...
pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #29
dimar5150

Just so everyone knows.....

I formed my own band, no substitutes and no wives/GFs getting in the way. And we are SO much better than whatever version of their band is playing out. (, B or C or whatever)

And I even snagged one of the substitute drummers who is a permanent fixture in my new band.

Revenge is sweet.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:54 AM   #30
Big John

Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
I do not know of anyone who has never experienced band BS. Welcome to the club
Agreed! It's almost not even a real band unless there is someone who is absolutely wearing you out. Could be a member of the band, a B/GF, Yoko Ono...anybody really.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote