Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 05-23-2017, 02:44 AM   #1
Cat Woman

Cat Woman Just getting started
Default 13-Pin MIDI Guitar in 2017

I'm setting up a MIDI system with a Godin Synth Access guitar.

i'm not interested in the "pedalboard" all in ones such as the GR-55. i'm interested in using mostly soft-synth like MainStage 3.

the only 13-pin to MIDI converters i am aware of are the Roland GI series and the TerraTech Axon series both of which have been discontinued and while i can find them used the more sinister problem i'm seeing is that no drivers for theses have been created since 2006 so forget about using it with my current computer.

so far all I've come up with is to set up a second computer running a pre 2006 OS to run the old Roland/Terratech software along side my modern computer that i'm using for recording and synth but seems a tedious solution that would never fly in most live situations.

it seems surprising to me that such a cool technology is basically dead in the water with no support from the creators and that no other companies have made a comparable device.

have i overlooked something?
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Cool One Person's Synth Pedal Is Another Person's MIDI Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Woman View Post
I'm setting up a MIDI system with a Godin Synth Access guitar.

i'm not interested in the "pedalboard" all in ones such as the GR-55. i'm interested in using mostly soft-synth like MainStage 3.

the only 13-pin to MIDI converters i am aware of are the Roland GI series and the TerraTech Axon series both of which have been discontinued and while i can find them used the more sinister problem i'm seeing is that no drivers for theses have been created since 2006 so forget about using it with my current computer.

so far all I've come up with is to set up a second computer running a pre 2006 OS to run the old Roland/Terratech software along side my modern computer that i'm using for recording and synth but seems a tedious solution that would never fly in most live situations.

it seems surprising to me that such a cool technology is basically dead in the water with no support from the creators and that no other companies have made a comparable device.

have i overlooked something?

Hello Cat Woman :

The Godin through the GR series into a midi interface to your computer allows you to trigger synth software .

You don't need the GR or the Godin or midi interface to trigger synth software if you have an audio/instrument interface - there are many .

You could use any electric - acoustic electric musical instrument into one of these audio interfaces and forego the midi guitar expense .

However - - -

You loose being able to target each string with an individual synth voice and that is a great feature to have . Drum triggers are really good when triggering them with strings . The Roland sets these different drums up and down the fretboard on different strings .

Playing live you have to tote a laptop or Raspberry Pi / Arduino rig to access your midi control of computer based synth voices . If you aren't gigging live it's no issue then .

I have a Godin LGXSA with a Roland GR33 - with it I can trigger drums , you name it - in a DAW .

Live with my FX floor unit system is a clean and relatively easy set up with out snarls of cables .

GR33 - 30 and other older units are really good units . Axon doesn't exist anymore from what I see in the midi guitar systems they had before .

The best way is to have as many avenues available to pursue with in your grasp .The trick is figuring it all out and still sound like an artist on stage or when recording in your home based computer system and not a autonomic machine .

You need a computer interface no matter what to start with with or with out a pedal board . The software the interface(s) come with is where you start if your not into a Roland or what ever you choose .

There is never a clear short cut - midi has been around since the late 70's , piezo's have been around since the 70's - and guitar synth modules/ triggers 's like the GR 30 - 33 - 55 piezo's have been around since the late 90's - it's still evolving .

With the Roland GR series you have consistency and backwards legacy compatible upgrading , the new one's on the block can't boast that yet .

What model Godin are you playing ?

This pedal by Boss has been getting some popularity lately , I don't have one but I would like one .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F0zKG6Fsd0

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 05-23-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote