Guitar Forums

Guitar Forums (http://www.guitarforums.com/index.php)
-   Technical Info (http://www.guitarforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Single coil hum (http://www.guitarforums.com/showthread.php?t=47624)

Seattle 12-18-2017 07:24 AM

Single coil hum

I just got a Danelectro U2 electric guitar which has 2 single coil (lipstick) pickups.

Unless the gain is turned way up it's quiet (as far as hum) when it's on the neck pickup only. When it's on the bridge pickup or on "both" I can hear hum. It's not too bad but it's there.

On my Telecaster I can turn the volume down to late night at home playing levels and I don't hear hum. When I turn the gain up or the volume up a little higher I get some hum but if I just lay my hand on the strings (when not playing) all the hum goes away.

With the Danelectro, putting my hands on the strings doesn't affect the hum. However, I noticed that when I put my hand on the plug as it goes into the jack, all the hum goes away.

When it's only on the neck pickup, I don't have to do that as there is no hum.

Anyone know what's going on here? I realize that hum is something you just deal with, with single coils and I know that changing orientation with the amp sometimes helps.

This just seems a little different with no hum on the neck pick up but hum on the bridge pickup but touching the jack eliminates even that.

Does this suggest something that needs to be grounded that isn't?

Hi Hat 12-18-2017 01:12 PM

You might look inside at the wiring.

Silimtao 12-18-2017 02:13 PM

The newer Danos are supposedly noisier than the older ones due to shielding, or lack of it. Take a look at this, this may be your solution.

http://prairieboxes.blogspot.com/201...o-63_4512.html

When I did my CV, I found a mystery wire that came through a tiny hole from...someplace. It's apparently a ground wire, and my Telly is quiet. Maybe you have a ground wire that's similar? That said, there's supposedly only shielding paint in the new U2s. Read the first comment; what applies to the Baritone, supposedly may work for the U2.

Seattle 12-18-2017 03:47 PM

I think I'll stay away from any soldering. I've played around with things some more and have come up with some "solutions", I think.

If the pickup is only on the neck it's relatively fine. When you are on "both" the volume goes up as they are wired in series so whatever is going on is worse then of course.

In the bridge position there is more hum but I noticed that it's much worse only when the volume control is in the middle third of its range. When I turn it all the way up it gets pretty quiet.

Touching the strings doesn't quiet anything as it would with my Tele but touching the selector switch or the jack does. I guess that means the bridge isn't grounded the way the switch and jack are?

One thing I always notice about these shielding articles is that either in the article or in the follow-up comments it's mentioned that there is still hum but it's just a little better. :)

That kind of reminds me of tonewood debates. :) "Admittedly the tonewood doesn't make a big difference but I can tell the difference" :)

Silimtao 12-18-2017 04:19 PM

If it isn't a major hassle, I might look under the hood, to see if there a similar ground wire, like on my telly. Actually, unless it drove me absolutely crazy, I'd do nothing, because I'm lazy. My MiM strat was humming like crazy for a coupla years, probably from the sucky soldering I did. Finally, when I decided to check the output jack. I could see the tip touching the cable properly, so I just bent it in. The humming went away.

You try a different cable (even though the new U2s seem inherently noisy from what I read)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seattle (Post 682475)
One thing I always notice about these shielding articles is that either in the article or in the follow-up comments it's mentioned that there is still hum but it's just a little better. :)

That kind of reminds me of tonewood debates. :) "Admittedly the tonewood doesn't make a big difference but I can tell the difference" :)

LOL. I do think shielding helps, but none of my single coils are that noisy. My CV telly hums a bit, again, because of the shit soldering job I did. When I touch it, most of it goes away. I've been meaning to resolder the whole damn thing, but again, I'm lazy haha.

PKVeazey 12-18-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silimtao (Post 682468)
The newer Danos are supposedly noisier than the older ones due to shielding, or lack of it. Take a look at this, this may be your solution.

http://prairieboxes.blogspot.com/201...o-63_4512.html

When I did my CV, I found a mystery wire that came through a tiny hole from...someplace. It's apparently a ground wire, and my Telly is quiet. Maybe you have a ground wire that's similar? That said, there's supposedly only shielding paint in the new U2s. Read the first comment; what applies to the Baritone, supposedly may work for the U2.

That mystery wire is the same on a tele or strat. It goes through a small hole over and up to the bridgeplate as a ground.

Parralax view 12-18-2017 08:13 PM

Have you moved the pickups?? Raised or lowered?? I've found that in some guitars, 60 cycle gets worse if you move the pickups too close to the strings. Just a thought.

Seattle 12-18-2017 10:11 PM

I haven't moved them but today it's not bad at the volume that I'm playing it at.

I did take the back cover off just to look at it. Too many little wires! Anything I would do would just make it worse. :)

I think I just needed to play around with it to be used to it (new guitar). The only "odd" thing is that touching the strings doesn't seem to ground things out like on most guitars. Maybe that little string referred to above isn't there or isn't connected.

In any event, hum isn't a problem at the moment.

stratstrummer 12-19-2017 12:05 AM

Playing around florescent lights causes noise as well.

Parralax view 12-19-2017 07:27 PM

^^ And TV's and some electronics will increase the buzz. An old stage trick is to move around until the buzz disappears, then you are out of the magnetic field of lights, tv's etc.. Check the ground wire that goes into the "hole".. It is usually connected to a metal piece for ground. On a strat, it's usually on the spring holder or similar, on the Dano, it might be connected to the ooutput jack.